As the final episode sets to air, people everywhere are searching for the elements of the perfect Breaking Bad watch party. Skyler White, Walt Jr, and Gus Fring might all disagree on what the best Breaking Bad themed party might look like, but we’ve cooked up some of the best recipes possible!
Find Your “Heisenberg Hat” Party
One of the most memorable parts of Breaking Bad has been the somehow ridiculous-yet-intimidating pork pie hat Walt dons to become Heisenberg. But don’t we all have that piece of clothing that unleashes our alter-ego? Whether it’s a Member’s Only jacket or a FUBU shirt, everyone’s closet is crammed full of cloths that change us from normal, every day people, into super-confident badasses ready to take on the world. Invite your guests to unleash their alter ego by wearing their favorite mind-altering piece of clothing.
What should I cook up to eat?
With your guests inner confidence coming through, you’ll want to keep them in check just a bit. No one keeps Heisenberg in control like Gus Fring. So keep guests having fun but firmly in your control by serving fried chicken. Whether you make your own or go to your favorite chicken take out place, you can’t go wrong. .
Of course, people do not live on chicken alone, so watch out for your guests cholesterol by serving them cooked red cabbage. This easy recipe from kosherfood.about.com makes this healthy option easy too.
2 Tbsp. oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 apples, peeled and sliced
2 Tbsp. soft light brown sugar
1 large red cabbage, cored and finely shredded
4 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 cup chicken stock
1 tsp. salt
2-3 Tbsp. dried cranberries, raisins or craisins
1. Heat oil in a skillet, and saute the onion gently until transparent.
2. Add the apples. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add cabbage and sugar. Cover and cook for another five minutes.
4. Stir in vinegar, stock and salt. 5. Simmer, covered, for 25-30 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender. 6. Add the cranberries.
It’s also purple, making Marie Schrader proud in the process.
What if we don’t drink Dimple Pinch scotch?
No Breaking Bad watch party theme would be complete without a blue cocktail. A party that celebrates your inner Heisenberg needs a stiff drink that says it all: the AMF*.
- 1/2 oz. Vodka
- 1/2 oz. Gin
- 1/2 oz. Rum (Light)
- 1/2 oz. Triple Sec
- Sweet & Sour Mix
- Float of Blue Curacao
Garnish:Lemon Wedge and Cherry
Pour the vodka, gin, rum, and triple sec into a glass with ice. Fill with sweet and sour and add the float of Blue Curacao.
While we can’t say what this drink stands for in front of Holly White, we’ll just let you know that the A stands for “adios” and let you fill in the blanks from there. This Long Island Iced Tea style cocktail perfectly caps off five seasons worth of action. One more piece of advice: great drinks deserve great glassware. Show off your Mike Ehrmantraut level cool by always have the right glass for the right occasion.
Walter White and Jesse Pinkman become world-renowned (if not completely recognized) for their legendary meth recipe that’s 99% pure. Invite your guests to cook up their own world-famous recipes and bring them over to see who truly has the best dish! As your guests decide who cooks like Walt and who cooks like Todd, relive your favorite Breaking Bad moments. If you’re feeling especially bold, have your guests cook their secret recipes at your house!
What if no one cooks a Breaking Bad themed dish?
If Breaking Bad has taught us anything, it’s that we always have to be thinking ahead. With your guests bringing their favorite dishes, it’s hard to control what’s going to be served. Make sure that no one forgets what you’re celebrating by serving actual mini pork pies!**
- 800g lean pork mince
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
For the Pastry
- 200g lard
- 750g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- oil, for greasing
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Mix the filling ingredients and season. Grease 12 holes of a muffin tin and line each with a strip of baking parchment, to make pies easier to remove from tins.
- To make pastry, bring the lard and 250ml water to the boil in a small pan. Sieve the flour into a food processor and add 2 tsp salt. While processor is on, pour in lard and water mix, then blend until you have a smooth dough. Turn out into a bowl and remove two-thirds, covering the final third with a tea towel to keep warm.
- Roll larger piece out on a floured surface to about 2-3mm thick – work quickly as the dough is easier to work with when warm. Cut out 12 x 11cm circles using a pastry cutter. Line each hole of the tin with the circles, pushing them in with your fingers and leaving a slight overhang.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F and put in a baking tray. Divide filling between pastry cases, pushing down lightly. Roll out remaining pastry on a floured surface and stamp out 12 x 8cm circles. Brush edges of filled cases with egg, then put lids on top. Pinch together and crimp the edges with your fingers. Brush with beaten egg and set aside the rest for later.
- Bake in oven for 30 mins, then remove the tin and tray, and gently take the pies out of the holes. Brush the sides and top again with egg and place directly onto the baking tray. Turn oven to 400 degrees F and cook for 25-30 mins until the sides are set and tops a deep golden color. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
These classic British snacks might not be found in Albuquerque, but they are the perfect Breaking Bad theme snack.
What else will channel my favorite Breaking Bad moments?
September means autumn for most people in the US, but if the weather is still good, a Breaking Bad watch party is the perfect time for dinner outside. Serve your meal in your back yard. If you need backyard decor, check out some of our great backyard accessories. And don’t worry if you don’t have a swimming pool: the swimming pool blue cocktail*** is the perfect way to make the party seem just as authentic as that first afternoon where we met the Whites and the Schraders.
- 1 scoop crushed ice
- 1/4 oz sweet cream
- 3/4 oz cream of coconut
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- 3/4 oz vodka
- 1 1/2 oz light rum
- 1/4 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
Mix ingredients well, pour into an exotic glass and float the blue curacao on top.
Pizza Says I’m Sorry Pizza Party
No fan will ever forget Walt’s attempt to smooth over things with Skylar by offering her the “pizza of destiny.” Who doesn’t think pizza is the perfect way to apologize for being a ruthless drug kingpin? Even though you’re not apologizing, pizza parties are a fast, easy way to make sure everyone goes home satisfied without spending all day in the kitchen. And in this case, it’s the easiest Breaking Bad theme you can find. Just make sure it doesn’t end up on the roof!
How can I make my own pizza of destiny?
If ordering pizza for your guests just doesn’t feel right, this barbecue chicken recipe from allrecipes.com will let your guests know you’re cooking with gas.
- 1 (12 inch) pre-baked pizza crust
- 1 cup spicy barbeque sauce
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast
- halves, cooked and cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place pizza crust on a medium baking sheet. Spread the barbecue sauce on the crust. Top with chicken, cilantro, pepperoncini peppers, onion, and cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Gus would be pleased and your guests will be thinking about all the great things in the southwest as the consume this terrific pizza. This recipe is clearly one you won’t have to apologize for.
Finding a suitable side dish for pizza can be more difficult than finding the perfect Breaking Bad theme for your party. In this case, there’s one clear way to go. Just as Caesar before him, Walt has built an empire. Yet despite all his powers, threats are everywhere. So give a nod to Walt as you and your guests enjoy a Caesar salad. While not actually named after that Caesar, your guests will still applaud your creative interpretation of Heisenberg.
Is there a blue drink suggestion?
It’s basically impossible to have a Breaking Bad theme party and not serve a blue drink. Blue, intoxicating substances pretty much make the show go. Sticking with the southwestern theme, the blue devil from barbug.com will be a great match with whichever pizza option you choose.
In Mixing Glass With Ice Add:
- 1 1/2 oz Beefeater Gin
- 1/2 oz Hiram Walker Blue Curacao
- 1/2 oz Lemon Juice
- Shake and Strain
- Garnish: Lemon Slice
What About Desert?
While we don’t know what Hank Schrader’s favorite dessert is, we do know that no one at your Breaking Bad themed watch party will be able to resist blue frosted cupcakes. While these frosted treats won’t make you barrels full of money to bury in the desert, they are at least 99% pure and will surely leave your guests with a brief rush of ecstasy.
A Few More Breaking Bad Party Themes
From Gus to Gale, from Badger to Tuco, Breaking Bad has always given us great characters to enjoy. If you’re struggling for a Breaking Bad party theme, just look to these characters for inspiration.
Skyler White would certainly approve of a classic breakfast for dinner party. Prepare your guests all your favorite breakfast foods and remember those tense moments at the table. Throw in the veggie bacon to give it that true White-house feeling.
If you and your friends are more heartbroken than excited for this once in a lifetime series finale, why not plan on a Gale’s Karaoke Adventure? Serve a vegan meal and just make plans to miss work Monday. Whether it’s on your own video game console or you find the classiest karaoke bar in your neck of the woods, sing away the blues and remember your favorite character. Singing “Major Tom” is encouraged but not required!
Don’t Forget to Tune In!
As we prepare for the final episode of Breaking Bad, remember that the perfect themed party always leaves plenty of time for watching the actual show. Make sure everyone’s set with their food, their drink, and a firm warning that you will go Heisenberg on them if they squeal during the show! Let us know of other great themes that will make this night as memorable as the show.
For more information on some of the highlighted recipes, check out these resources below.